Walmart’s NEW Coupon Policy

by Momma · 10 comments

I have to admit that I’ve been out of the loop with my couponing for a while. Life got busy… schedules were hectic… blah blah blah… I got lazy. I hadn’t realized that so many coupon policies are changing at major retailers!

Wal-Mart, for instance, has never been a store I’ve recommended for shopping with coupons. Their cashiers have always been so negative when it came to trying to redeem coupons, and they were always out of stock on the items I had coupons for. It’s been a while and I was feeling energetic, so yesterday I gave Wal-Mart’s coupon matching list a look on Coupon Mom to see if I could beat the sale prices at the other stores on a couple of things. There was a pretty decent list of Free After Coupon items, and definitely had better prices on the body wash I was looking for.

After printing up my list, gathering my coupons, and bracing myself for impact, I went to the website to print Wal-Mart’s coupon policy to take with me… a MUST for shopping there, because of the pushback that I’ve always gotten over my coupons. I have to say that I was startled to see the comprehensive (and might I say IMPRESSIVE) changes to their policies. Click here to see Wal-Mart’s old coupon policy. I was especially impressed with the fact that they WILLINGLY apply coupon overages to the rest of your purchase OR GIVE YOU CASH BACK!

Here is the current policy (as of 4/13/11):

Walmart Coupon Policy

We gladly accept the following types of coupons*

• Print-at-home internet coupons
    • Must be legible
    • Must have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them
    • Must have a valid remit address for the manufacturer
    • Must have a valid expiration date
    • Must have a scannable bar code
    • Buy one, get one free (BOGO) coupons with a specified price
    • Are acceptable in black and white or color
    • May not be duplicated
  • Manufacturers’ coupons
    • For dollar/cents off
    • For free items (except those printed off the Internet)
    • Buy one, get one free (BOGO) coupons
    • Must have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them
    • Must have a valid remit address for the manufacturer
    • Must have a valid expiration date
    • Must have a scannable bar code
    • May not be duplicated
  • Competitors’ coupons
    • A specific item for a specified price, for example, $2.99
    • Buy one, get one free (BOGO) coupons for items with a specified price
    • Have a valid expiration date
    • Are acceptable in black and white
  • Soft drink container caps
  • Checkout coupons (“Catalinas”)
    • Printed at our competitors’ registers for dollar/cents off on a specific item
    • Must have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific item requirements printed on them
    • Must have a valid remit address for the manufacturer
    • Must have a valid expiration date
    • Must have a scannable bar code
    • Are acceptable in black and white
    • May not be duplicated

We DO NOT accept the following coupons:

• Checkout coupons
    • Dollars/cents off the entire basket purchase
    • Percentage off the entire basket purchase
  • Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
  • Competitors’ coupons
    • Dollars/cents off at a specific retailer
    • Percentage off
    • Buy one, get one free (BOGO) coupons without a specified price
    • Double- or triple-value coupons

*The following are guidelines and limitations:

• We only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
  • Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
  • Only one coupon per item.
  • Item purchased must be identical to the coupon (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc).
  • There is no limit on the number of coupons per transaction.
  • Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
  • If coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.
  • WIC or SNAP items purchased in a WIC or SNAP transaction are ineligible for cash back or application to the basket purchase.
  • Great Value, Marketside, Equate, Parents Choice, and World Table coupons have no cash value and are ineligible for cash back or application to the basket purchase.
  • The system will prompt for supervisor verification for:
    • 40 coupons per transaction.
    • A coupon of $20 or greater on one item
    • $50 or more in coupons in one transaction

Not only has the coupon policy been made more shopper friendly, the entire experience was positive! EVERY item I was looking for was well stocked. The cashier was friendly and engaging. The coupons were accepted with a smile and zero issues. I was thoroughly impressed… and that’s hard to do.

Good Job Wal-Mart! I’ll be back.

Do you enjoy what you’re reading here? Get free updates online, or get them emailed directly to your inbox.
Be Sociable, Share!

No related posts.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

CreditDonkey April 28, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thanks for sharing this! I always had the hardest time using my coupons in Wal-Mart too. This is a very good change for Wal-Mart. Should I bring the current policy too just in case I bump into some snob cashier?

Grand2three June 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I could not locate on their policy where they will not except mfg coupon with a BOGO. I was told this morning that they do not do this. Is this so.
Thanks
Donna

Momma June 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

I would recommend ALWAYS bringing their printed coupon policy with you. It’s just less grief that way.

Momma June 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

If they haven’t specified on the coupon policy, then it’s up to the discretion of the manager.

Ryan October 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

From our experience with Wal Mart, they will match mnftr BOGO coupons, but not add match. Also depends on the store, cashier, cashier manager, CSM, store manager… etc. Get one in a good mood and that knows how to work the register, bingo. I also started a facebook page for Wal Mart couponing. Feel free to check it out and share your stories of sucess or horror!

Thanks

Gale March 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I talked with my local Walmart manager and he wont allow the ad match and use a manufacture coupon. I told him it doesn’t say anything in their policy about this. So why wouldn’ t i go to the store with the ad and use my manufactures coupon. Target will ad match at the customer service desk as long as u have the entire ad and they allow u to use a manufactures coupon on the ad match. I guess i will be going to target more often!

leslie gould March 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I am so frustrated with Wal Mart!!! I am giving up on them, I think. I spend time going through the coupons before I go, I clip, I check Couponmom.com, I feel good and then I get there and they are out of the items on my list. This has happened many, many times. Then, I am stuck with loosed coupons that never get used. Any advice?! Is there a certain time of the day that one should shop at Wal-Mart? HELP! Thank you!

RK September 11, 2012 at 11:35 am

I am a cashier at WalMart, and it’s where I do all of my shopping. I make sure I am well versed in our policies, but not all of the cashiers are like me. WalMart is very strict in some ways on coupon use, but only so far as they need to be in order to make sure that the coupon can be redeemed from the manufacturer. I read all the fine print on each and every coupon, because it’s not worth losing my job over just to let things slide. I willingly offer to break up my customer’s purchase into multiple transactions so they can use all of their coupons. I make sure ad matching is legit, and my store has no problem with coupons and ad matching on the same items. I do that myself when I shop there. Please be kind to the cashiers, they don’t make the policies and often times, they don’t know them that well. Always politely ask for a CSM if the cashier has questions or refuses to accept ad matching/coupon use. It is completely allowable. Get to know one or two good cashiers at your local WalMart and always go to their lane if they’re working and you’re shopping. It eases the headache.

RK September 11, 2012 at 11:39 am

The only BOGO we don’t accept is when it is in a printed ad but there is no specified price on the one you have to buy. This is because when it’s rung into the register as an ad match, the first item has to be charged at the competitor’s price, minus 1 penny, then the second item (the ‘free’ one) is rung up for 1 penny. We have to do it this way to control inventory – everything must be accounted for, and because since we are matching their price, we have to know what their price is. BOGO coupons from the manufacturer are completely acceptable. Last week I used a buy 2 get 1 free Nabisco coupon, and that was after ad matching Nabisco crackers for 1.79 from a printed competitor ad. I wasn’t even shopping at the WalMart I work at, and the cashier guy had no problem with it.

Marisa November 24, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Usually I just think Walmart has great prices to begin with, but this coupon thing really has my gears turning now. Then again, I see coupons and it makes me want to buy things I don’t need, simply because it’s cheap. Oh well! Great article!